| ISSN: 2429-5396 (e) | www.american-jiras.com | |
| Web Site Form: v 0.1.05 | JF 22 Cours, Wellington le Clairval, Lillebonne | France |
| | ARTICLE | Am. J. innov. res. appl. sci. Volume 11, Issue 5, Pages 129-135 (November 2020)
| Research Article 1
American Journal of innovative
Research & Applied Sciences
ISSN 2429-5396 (Online)
OCLC Number: 920041286
| NOVEMBER | VOLUME 11 | N° 5 | 2020 |
| Info-AJIRAS-® Journal ISSN 2429-5396 (Online) / Reference CIF/15/0289M |
American Journal of Innovative Research & Applied Sciences
*Correspondant author and authors Copyright © 2020:
| Idume, Nkechinyere I. 1 | Onyenekwe, Charles C.1 | Anya, Kingsley K.1 | Okoro, Godwin O.1 | Fasogbon, Samuel A.2* | Oko, Patrick I.3 |Aliu Israel I.4 | Ayodele Kabiru O.5 | Adeyinka, Sumbola A.6 | Onukwue, Ifeoma G.7 | Oguntunnbi, Damilola E. 8 | Emejuru, Chinonso F.9 | and | Adebayo, Ahmed O.10 |
1. Department of Medical Laboratory Science, Ebonyi State University | Abakaliki | Ebonyi state | Nigeria |
2. Public Health In-vitro Diagnostic Control Laboratory | Medical Laboratory Science Council of Nigeria (MLSCN)| Yaba-Lagos| Nigeria |
3. Department of Medical Laboratory Services | Asokoro District Hospital | Abuja| Nigeria |
4. Department of Quality Management System| PEGISOL Consultancy | Airport Road | Abuja |
5. Department of Chemical Pathology | Lagos State University Teaching Hospital| Ikeja| Lagos State |
6. Department of Anatomic Pathology | Irrua Specialist Teaching Hospital | Irrua | Edo State |
7. Department of External Quality Assurance| National External Quality Assessment Laboratory | MLSCN | Zaria| Nigeria |
8. Department of Medical Microbiology | Federal Teaching Hospital | Ido-Ekiti| Ekiti State |
9. Department of Medical Laboratory Services | Borngreat Healthcare and Research Laboratories| Lagos |
10. Department of Medical Laboratory Science | Lagos Sate College of Health Technology | Yaba | Lagos State |
This article is made freely available as part of this journal's Open Access: ID | Idume–Ref2-ajira161120 |
Background: Cardiovascular diseases (CVD’s) are said to be chronic or acute disorders of the heart and blood vessels and it include coronary heart disease, cerebrovascular disease, peripheral artery disease, rheumatic heart disease, congenital heart disease, deep vein thrombosis and pulmonary embolism. Atherogenic index of plasma (AIP), dyslipidaemia and anthropometric indices has been said to be a strong marker that predicts the risk of cardiovascular diseases. Aim: To evaluate some cardiovascular risk factors among students of Faculty of Health Science and Technology Ebonyi State University, Nigeria. Materials and Methods: The study recruited 80 participants (males 28 (35%) and females 52 (65%)) with mean age 24.36±5.37 years old. The mean age for the male was 24.64±5.41 years, while the mean age for the female was 24.21±5.39 years. Results: It was observed that there was a significant difference between sexes for the following variables: TG (P=0.052), HDL-cholesterol (P=0.053), WHR (P=0.003), and AIP (P=0.003) and no significant difference between sexes for the following variables: Age (P=0.734), TC (P=0.339) and LDL-c (P=0.540). WHR showed moderate significant correlation with age while AIP was more strongly correlated with TG and HDL-c. WHR showed moderate significant correlation with age in the female participants but there was no significant correlation between WHR with age and lipid profile in the males. AIP showed strong significant correlation with TG in the males whereas it showed moderate significant correlation with age, and strong significant correlation with TG and HDL-c in females. Conclusion: This study support the evidences that lipid ratios could be used for identifying individual at higher risk of cardiovascular disease in the clinical practices especially, when the absolute values of lipid profile seem abnormal or higher.
Keywords: Cardiovascular Diseases, Atherogenic Index, Lipid profile, Cholesterol.
*Corresponding author Author:| Idume, Nkechinyere I.| & Copyright Author © 2020:| Fasogbon, Samuel A. * |. All Rights Reserved. All articles published in American Journal of Innovative Research and Applied Sciences are the
property of Atlantic Center Research Sciences, and is protected by copyright laws CC-BY. See:http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc/4.0/.
Research Article 2
INVESTIGATION ON LIPID PROFILE AND ATHEROGENIC INDICES AS MARKERS OF CARDIOVASULAR DISEASE AMONG STUDENTS
| Idume, Nkechinyere I. 1* | Onyenekwe, Charles C.1 | Anya, Kingsley K.1 | Okoro, Godwin O.1 | Fasogbon, Samuel A.2* | Oko, Patrick I.3 |Aliu Israel I.4 | Ayodele Kabiru O.5 | Adeyinka, Sumbola A.6 | Onukwue, Ifeoma G.7 | Oguntunnbi, Damilola E. 8 | Emejuru, Chinonso F.9 | and | Adebayo, Ahmed O.10 |. Am. J. innov. res. appl. sci. 2020; 11(5):129-135.
| PDF FULL TEXT | | XML FILE | | Received | October 04, 2020 | | Accepted | October 21, 2020 | | Published | November 26, 2020 |